Proctored exams are a common way for educational institutions and certification programs to ensure the integrity of online and in-person exams.
But what exactly is a proctored exam, and why is it necessary?
In this article, we’ll explore the definition of proctored exams, their importance, and the various proctoring methods available.
Whether you’re a student preparing for an exam or an instructor designing a testing program, understanding the ins and outs of proctored exams is essential for ensuring fair and accurate evaluations.
What is a Proctored Exam?
A proctored exam is an exam an individual oversees called a proctor. The purpose of a proctored exam is to ensure the integrity of the exam and prevent cheating.
Proctors are responsible for monitoring exam takers to ensure they follow the exam rules and do not engage in prohibited activities, such as using unauthorized materials or seeking assistance from others.
Proctored exams can take place in person or online, and various types of proctoring methods are available, including live proctoring, recorded proctoring, and artificial intelligence (AI) proctoring.
They have become increasingly popular in recent years as more exams are being offered online, where it can be more challenging to prevent cheating.
How Do Proctored Exams Work?
Proctored exams typically involve a few key steps.
- First, exam takers must register and provide their personal information, such as their name, date of birth, and contact information. They may also need to provide identification documents to verify their identity.
- Next, exam takers must select a proctoring method that works best for them. Some standard proctoring methods include live, recorded, and AI proctoring. Live proctoring involves having a trained proctor monitor the exam taker in real time, usually through a video conferencing platform.
- Recorded proctoring consists in recording the exam taker’s session for later review, while AI proctoring uses advanced algorithms to analyze the exam taker’s behavior and detect any signs of cheating. Once the proctoring method has been selected, the exam taker can begin the exam.
- During the exam, the proctor will monitor the taker to ensure they follow the exam rules and do not engage in any prohibited activities. They may also be available to assist the exam taker if they experience any technical issues or have questions about the exam.
- After the exam, the proctor will review the exam taker’s session to ensure no cheating or rule violations. The exam taker will typically receive their results within a few days, depending on the exam and the testing organization’s policies.
How to Set Up an Online Proctored Exam?
Setting up an online proctored exam can be a daunting task, but with the right tools and resources, it can be a seamless process.
One option for online proctoring is through Sumadi, a platform that offers secure automated proctoring for online assessments.
Sumadi offers secure automated proctoring solutions for online assessments and examinations. Our mission is to help institutions and exam takers succeed in online education and learning.
If you choose Sumadi as your partner in proctored exams, you are also choosing the following benefits:
- 24/7 customer care
- Tailored packages to your institution’s needs
- Multilingual solutions
- Cost-effective proctoring solutions
Sumadi’s comprehensive proctoring solution safeguards the test-taking process from beginning to end. This starts with verifying the identity of the test-taker and continues with ongoing real-time analysis and reporting to detect any signs of cheating or rule violations.
Sumadi’s proctoring solution is flexible and can adapt to both traditional and non-traditional assessment models, including adaptive testing.
How to Take a Proctored Exam
Taking proctored exams is not as complicated or intimidating as it may sound. As long as you follow the exam rules and regulations, you should be able to take your exam with confidence.
Here are some the steps you need to do when taking a proctored exam:
- Understand the requirements. Make sure you have a reliable computer and a stable internet connection. Check if there are any specific software or hardware requirements for the exam.
- Schedule your exam. Find out the date and time of your exam and schedule it well in advance. Make sure you have enough time to prepare for the exam and resolve any technical issues.
- Choose a suitable location. Pick a quiet and well-lit location where you won’t be disturbed during the exam. Make sure there is a power source nearby and no prohibited items around.
- Check your equipment. Test your computer, webcam, and microphone to ensure they are working correctly. Make sure the testing software is installed and up-to-date.
- Verify your identity. You may be required to show a valid ID, take a photo, or provide a signature to verify your identity before the exam. Follow the instructions provided by the proctoring service.
- Follow the instructions. Read the instructions carefully before starting the exam. Understand the exam format, time limit, and any other rules.
- Maintain exam integrity. Keep your eyes on the screen and avoid looking away or using any unauthorized materials. Don’t communicate with anyone or take breaks during the exam.
- Submit your exam. Once you have completed the exam, follow the instructions to submit it. Make sure you have saved all your work and double-check for any errors.
- Receive your results. Depending on the exam, you may receive your results immediately or after a few days. Check your email or the exam portal for updates.
- Follow up on any issues. If you encounter any technical issues or have concerns about the exam, contact the proctoring service or your exam provider immediately. Don’t hesitate to seek help or clarification.
Benefits of Proctored Exams
Proctored exams are becoming increasingly popular as a reliable and secure method of assessing knowledge and skills. They are often used in academic settings, certification programs, and job interviews.
Here are some advantages of proctored exams you may want to know:
Increases the credibility of the exam
Provides a level playing field
Proctored exams ensure that all test-takers have an equal opportunity to succeed. By eliminating the possibility of cheating, all test-takers are assessed based on their knowledge and skills alone.
This creates a fair and equitable testing environment where everyone has the same chance to excel.
Improves test security
Proctored exams are much more secure than traditional exams. They use sophisticated technology and monitoring techniques to prevent cheating and protect the integrity of the exam.
This reduces the risk of fraud and ensures that the results are accurate and reliable.
Provides a sense of accountability
Proctored exams create a sense of accountability for the test-taker. When taking a proctored exam, test-takers are aware that they are being monitored and that their actions are being recorded.
This can motivate them to take the exam seriously and to perform to the best of their abilities. It also ensures that they are held responsible for their actions during the exam.
Challenges of Proctored Exams
While proctored exams have many benefits, there are also some challenges associated with them.
Here are some challenges you may expect during proctored exams:
Proctored exams often rely on technology, which can lead to technical difficulties. Test-takers may experience issues with their internet connection, computer, or webcam, which can disrupt the exam and impact their results.
Proctoring services need to have reliable technical support to address these issues promptly.
Proctored exams can raise privacy concerns for test-takers. They may be uncomfortable with being monitored during the exam, and may be concerned about the security of their personal information.
Proctoring services need to have clear privacy policies and ensure that test-takers’ personal information is protected.
Proctored exams can be expensive, which may be a barrier for some test-takers. The cost of proctoring services and the technology required can add up, making it challenging for some individuals to take proctored exams.
Exam providers need to consider the cost-effectiveness of proctoring and explore options for reducing costs.
Access to technology
Get Started with Proctored Exams Today
In conclusion, proctored exams offer numerous benefits for both test-takers and exam providers. They increase the credibility of the exam, provide a fair and secure testing environment, and promote accountability.
However, proctored exams can also present some challenges, such as technical difficulties and cost.
At Sumadi, we can help you with your proctored exams. Our team of experts is available to assist you in every step of the process, from preparing for the exam to submitting your results. Contact us today to learn more!